FlexiCol® – Porcine Collagen Solution, Type I, 3 mg/ml, 100 ml
Catalog #5169-100ML (formerly #5169-B)
Full Product Description
FlexiCol® is isolated from porcine hides and is a soluble atelo-collagen in 0.01 N HCI. FlexiCol® collagen is approximately 97% Type I collagen with the remainder being comprised of Type III collagen. FlexiCol® collagen is supplied at approximately a 3 mg/ml concentration. The concentration for each specific lot is provided on a Certificate of Analysis that is available with the purchase of each product. FlexiCol® collagen is ideal for coating of surfaces, providing preparation of thin layers for culturing cells, or use as a solid gel. FlexiCol® collagen is provided in a user-friendly packaging for use and storage. FlexiCol® is sterile filtered and is supplied as a ready to use solution.
|Parameter, Testing, and Method||FlexiCol® Collagen Solution
Catalog # 5169-100ML
|Package Size||100 ml|
|Storage Temperature||2-10 °C|
|Expiration Date||Listed on product label and
Certificate of Analysis
(Biuret Protein Determination)
|pH||Approx. pH 2, 0.01 N HCl|
(Gel Time Assay)
|< 40 minutes|
|>0.5 Absorbance Units|
|Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis
(SDS – PAGE)
|> 85% collagen containing within alpha, beta,
and gamma bands < 15% collagen contained with bands traveling faster than alpha
|Endotoxin (LAL)||< 1.0 EU/ml|
|Osmolality||~ 30 mOsm|
|Cell Attachment Assay||Pass|
|Source||Porcine Hide – Pepsin Extracted|
Preparation and Usage
Note:Use these recommendations as guidelines to determine the optimal coating conditions for your culture system.
- Remove required quantity of collagen from the bottle and dispense into a dilution vessel.
- Dilute FlexiCol® in water to ~50 to 100 µg/ml (~1:30). A 0.01 N HCl solution may also be used.
- Swirl contents gently until material is completely mixed.
- Add appropriate amount of diluted FlexiCol® material to the culture surface ensuring that the entire surface is coated.
- Incubate at room temperature, covered, for 1-2 hours. Aspirate any remaining material. Alternatively, incubate at room temperature until surface is dry.
- Rinse coated surfaces carefully with sterile medium or PBS, avoid scratching surfaces.
- Coated surfaces are ready for use. They may also be stored at 2-8°C damp or air dried if sterility is maintained.
3-D Gel Preparation Procedure
- Slowly add 1 part of chilled 10X PBS or 10X culture media to 8 parts of chilled collagen solution with gentle swirling.
- Adjust pH of mixture to 7.2–7.6. Use of sterile 0.1 M NaOH is recommended. Monitor pH adjustment carefully (pH meter, phenol red, or pH paper).
- Adjust final volume to a total of 10 parts with sterile water.
- To prevent gelation, maintain temperature of mixture at 2-10°C.
- To form gel, warm to 37°C. For best results allow approximately 90 to 120 minutes for gel formation.
Cell Attachment Bioassay
|Without FlexiCol®||With FlexiCol®|
|Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells (HUVEC) 10X|
|VERO Epithelial Cells 10X|
|Human Dermal Fibroblast Cells 10X|
|MDCK Epithelial Cells 10X|